During enrolment on a microcredential learners can be asked to complete an ID verification process using a third-party service called Jumio.
For some partners, ID verification is crucial, for others less so.
ID validation with Jumio
Jumio is our ID verification partner. It is a market leader in this process, working with other big organisations such as Airbnb and Monzo.
The process involves:
- sending a learner off-platform
- they are asked to send an image of their ID and a selfie
- Jumio verifies that the ID is a valid format and that the image shows the same person
- Jumio sends us this information back with a success/fail response, included in a CSV download via Learning Manager.
- If the learner has successfully verified their identity, the CSV entry will be ‘True’. If ‘False’, the learner has either not attempted verification or has failed ID verification via Jumio.
Skip ID verification
The ID verification step will be enabled by default. Ask your Partnership Manager if you wish to remove it from the enrolment journey.
If you choose to remove it, please ensure you encourage learners on your microcredential to verify their ID at a later stage if necessary.
If you enable ID verification in the enrolment journey, it will be shown to learners as an optional step. They have the option to skip it because some learners will have challenges with Jumio i.e. ID type or access to a webcam.
We will remind learners to attempt ID verification both immediately after payment and in the post-purchase VAT receipt email.
If a learner fails the Jumio process, or does not attempt verification, the partner should follow up with them if necessary.
Ensuring a learner has completed ID verification
See the status of ID verification for each learner in the CSV. Follow up by contacting the learner by sending them the link to Jumio to attempt verification.
Alternatively, if the learner has failed verification or is having problems, verify their ID off-platform.
Terminology on this page that you aren’t familiar with? Check out our glossary.