Rich Text Editor allows text within your steps to be formatted so that it is easy to read. Use Rich Text Editor and Markdown to format the text in your steps. We are rolling out Rich Text Editor throughout Course Creator over the coming months [Message published: Friday 25 March 2022].
If you have long steps with a lot of text or inline images use internal anchors. Internal anchors link section headings at the top of the page, to the content further down the page. Learners click the heading and the page scrolls down to that section.
Internal anchors can also highlight a particular segment of a step you wish to direct learners towards or create useful reference guides such as a simple glossary step.
1. Place your cursor before the section heading you want to link to. In this case, the “Section 2” heading.
2. Click the internal anchor icon or use the shortcut CTRL+SHIFT+L (CMD+SHIFT+L on macOS).
3. A pop-out form will open. Create and input a unique ID to identify where you want to go on the page. Select the tick icon to save.
4. A link will appear next to the heading with an icon and your chosen ID. Learners will not see this anchor and icon.
5. You have created the anchor. Now link to it. Insert at the top of the step a list of headings i.e. ‘Jump to section 2’ Highlight each heading, select the “Link” icon from the menu. Insert the unique ID with a hash in front of it.
6. Save the step at the bottom of the page, when finished.
Give hyperlinks (inline links) in your course additional context by inserting “link titles”. When learners hover over the link they will see more information.
1. Insert a hyperlink
- Insert an inline link by highlighting the text you want linking.
- Be sure that the text that is hyperlinked is descriptive and is not a bare URL. See our guidance on how to write accessible hyperlinks in writing up your course.
- Select the ‘link’ button in rich text editor.
- Insert the URL you want to link to. Click the tick button to save.
2. Add, edit and delete a link title
- Click on the hyperlink.
- The toolbar will appear.
- Click on the cog icon.
- Input the link's title.
- Click on the tick icon.
- The link title will be visible to learners when they hover over the link.
- Edit and remove a link's title by returning to the cog.
- To delete a link title remove the text from the anchor's title field and click the tick icon.
Terminology on this page that you aren’t familiar with? Check out our glossary.