They enable a learner to submit a written piece, in response to a question(s) set by the course provider. In return, the learner receives feedback from someone such as an educator on the course. This feedback can take the form of a mark (percentage) and optionally additional annotated feedback, or written summary feedback.
FutureLearn has integrated with TurnItIn Feedback Studio - a tool that provides a plagiarism detection service and a tool for educators to mark assignments and provide feedback.
Eligibility for using TurnItIn
- Check that your university/organisation Turnitin license covers the use of Feedback Studio.
- Check that you have a sufficient number of allocated student ‘seats’ with Turnitin Feedback Studio.
- Check that the learners on the FutureLearn course you are planning will be eligible to use the functionality under their existing license (most licenses only cover users who are registered students with the University). If you are planning to run the functionality on a non-credit bearing course, you will need to talk to Turnitin about extending your license to cover users who are not registered students with the University.
- If you have questions about any of the above, please contact your account manager at Turnitin.
Create tutor-marked assignments
- Create an invite-only (private) course run.
- Contact email@example.com to request a tutor-marked assignment step be added to the course run. Provide FutureLearn with your Turnitin account ID.
- FutureLearn enables Turnitin for the private course run.
- Set up the integration with your Turnitin account by pasting in the secret key shown in Course Creator.
- Set up a dummy learner account to test the integration by enrolling and submitting an assignment. Org Admin permission is required to test editing assignments and marking submissions.
- Invite learners to enrol on the private course run.
Learner experience of assignment submission
- On FutureLearn, a tutor marked assignment step is presented to the learner with a status of ‘Unsubmitted’.
- The learner follows a call to action to launch Turnitin.
- The learner submits their paper on Turnitin.
- The tutor marked assignment step is displayed with status of ‘Submitted’ on FutureLearn.
- The learner manually marks the step as complete.
Once the learner’s paper has been marked
- The tutor marked assignment step status is updated to ‘Marked’.
- The grade is displayed to the learner on FutureLearn within the step.
- Text is displayed to the learner explaining that they can view in-depth feedback on Turnitin, with a call to action to launch Turnitin.
See the full user journey.
Terminology on this page that you aren’t familiar with? Check out our glossary.