Permissions determine the level of access a team member has to your organisation's content and data on the FutureLearn platform. Roles, on the other hand, are the labels learners see next to team members' names within a course.
Team members often have both a role and a permission for courses they work on.
Some permissions are organisation-wide while others apply to a specific course run or program. Permissions assigned at program-level flow down to all runs of courses in the program.
Permissions are not carried over when new course runs are created and therefore need to be reassigned for each run.
You can download a table showing more detailed information about what each permission enables using the link at the bottom of this article.
Permissions for building and facilitating courses
All permissions in this category grant full access to upgraded access courses. This means that team members can see locked test steps and retain long term access to the courses covered by their permissions without having to upgrade.
- Organisation Admin (organisation-wide) – can view and manage all courses by the organisation
- Reviewer (any program or course run) – can join and view the course or program at any time, including when it's in draft
- Facilitator (any program or course run) – like Reviewer, but can also access facilitation tools, pin comments and comment in any study group or group workspace
- Co-creator (any course run) – like Facilitator, but can also edit content
- Author (any program or course run) – like Facilitator, but can also edit content, access stats and view survey results
- Tutor (degree and microcredential programs only) – like Facilitator, but can also view related enrolments and learners in Learning Manager
- Marker (any program or course run) – like Facilitator, but can also set up and mark tutor marked assignments and add feedback to portfolios
- Learner Admin (microcredential programs only) – like Tutor, but can also access the personal details of learners enrolled on the microcredential and update their learner IDs and results in Learning Manager.
- Learning Manager (organisation-wide) – can view, invite and manage learners in Learning Manager
- Student Recruitment Representative (organisation-wide) – can download lead generation reports
- Integrations Admin (organisation-wide) – can view configuration settings for API and LTI integrations with student record systems
Course and program-level permissions
Course and program-level permissions are assigned by Organisation Admins through the program or course run's Manage Team page in Course Creator.
Program level permissions will filter down to the courses contained in the program.
The first time a team member is assigned a permission for one of your organisation's courses or programs, they will receive an email invitation to join your organisation's team on FutureLearn. Further roles and permissions can be assigned to the team member immediately, all of which will take effect upon acceptance of the initial invitation.
Invitation emails will arrive from firstname.lastname@example.org and can be re-sent by clicking the ‘Send again’ text below the user’s email address.
Only FutureLearn can assign Organisation Admin and other organisation-wide permissions – please contact email@example.com to set these up.
Course and program-level permissions can be removed by clicking the X next to the permission on the Manage Team page for the course run or program.
To remove an Organisation Admin and other organisation-wide permissions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are four main roles that can be assigned to team members:
- Lead Educator or Educator – an academic with a specialist knowledge of the course subject
- Mentor – an academic with a good understanding of the course subject, who can help guide discussions
- Host – a facilitator who understands the FutureLearn platform and can act as a guide to learners
Any team member with a role will have a label attached to their name when they comment on the course.
Roles are assigned and removed through the Manage Team page for the course run in Course Creator and are carried forward when new runs of the course are created. If a team member has a role but no permission for a course run, they will not be able to see locked test steps or retain long term access unless they upgrade.
Team members with roles can also be added as educators to the course description page. Organisation Admins can do this through the Course Educators button on the Details tab for the course run in Course Creator.
The primary educator is the educator whose name is used in the default signature for all course emails. They also appear as the person delivering feedback on quizzes, polls and tests.
The primary educator is often the Lead Educator for the course but this doesn't have to be the case.
This primary educator be set before the course is opened for enrolment – please contact email@example.com to assign this.
Finding out more
For guidance on assigning microcredential and degree permissions, please see: Microcredential and Degree permissions.
If you have any questions about roles and permissions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.