This enrollment option gives organisations the ability to invite learners onto courses using SAML 2.0 single sign-on instead of personal Learning Manager invitation links to ensure the learner is eligible for the free enrolment.
An example of this tool is a University providing its staff and students with free access to its FutureLearn courses via its own website.
1. The learner visits a course page on the organisation’s website.
2. The learner clicks the free enrolment link on the course page.
3. If the learner is already enrolled in the course as part of the organisation, the link takes them directly to the course in FutureLearn.
4. Otherwise, the learner is taken to a page on FutureLearn where they are asked to confirm their choice of course and consent to FutureLearn sharing progress data with the organisation.
5. If the learner chooses to continue, the FutureLearn platform redirects them to the organisation’s SAML 2.0 identity provider.
6. If necessary, the organisation’s identity provider asks the learner to sign in with their university or company credentials. If, however, the learner is already signed in, they'll be sent straight back to FutureLearn without having to do anything.
7. If the learner does not already have a FutureLearn account linked to their university or company account, they are prompted to sign in or register for a FutureLearn account and consent to the accounts being linked. Otherwise, they are signed in to the linked FutureLearn account automatically.
8. The learner is enrolled and taken to either the course welcome page, or the course content if the course has started. The learner is also given upgraded access benefits and their enrolment is shown in Learning Manager. If the learner has already enrolled for free, their existing enrolment is upgraded and added to Learning Manager.
Creating and managing SAML enrolment links
Learning Managers for organisations that have SAML single sign on enabled for the FutureLearn platform can create, view and manage their own SAML enrolment links through Learning Manager.
- On the Learning Manager home page select 'View and create links for enrolling learners via SAML single sign-on'.
2. Use the 'Create SAML enrolment link' to generate a link for a new course and the 'Deactivate' / 'Activate' links to turn existing links on and off.
- Enrolments created through SAML enrolment are billed in the same way as enrolments created through Learning Manager course invitations. Any discounts or pre-paid agreements are automatically applied.
- The SAML enrolment flow starts with a simple URL which could be included in an email instead of on a webpage.
- Organisations can only use SAML enrolment to enrol learners on the same set of courses and course runs as are available when inviting learners to courses through Learning Manager. Organisations cannot use SAML enrolment to enrol learners on courses outside of the usual availability windows.
- FutureLearn supports up to one SAML identity provider per organisation.This means that all learners invited by the organisation through SAML enrolment must be able to sign in using the same identity provider. Learners cannot be enrolled using a different organisation’s identity provider.
- The FutureLearn platform will use the user identifier from the SAML identity provider as the external learner ID, which organisations will need to bear in mind if they also invite learners via other means such as Learning Manager course invitations and degree enrolment APIs.
To find out how to get this enabled, click here.