How it works
The Certificate of Achievement (CoA) is designed to provide a robust way for learners to prove their knowledge upon completion of a course and is available in the following formats:
- Physical CoAs – These are sent in the post to learners when they become eligible. This is available on courses using the Upgraded Access, Paid-for Access and Proof Product business models.
- Downloadable CoAs – Learners can download a PDF version of their certificate which they can print at their own convenience. This is available on courses using the Sponsored Access model or as part of selected promotional campaigns.
- Digital CoAs – designed to be shared across the web, for example on a learner’s FutureLearn profile, social media profile or digital CV/resume. These are supplied in conjunction with either a physical or downloadable certificate.
Transcript of learning
Certificates of Achievement are accompanied with a transcript of learning which details:
- the learning outcomes of the course
- the syllabus
- the average test score achieved
- details of any additional accreditation or endorsement
All of this data should be added to course runs before the course is published in Course Creator.
Obtaining a Certificate of Achievement
To be eligible, a learner must have ‘fully completed’ a course, which means they must:
- Mark as complete 90% or more of the steps on a course
- Attempt all test questions
- Attain an overall score of 70% or greater for the course (where the course includes scored steps such as tests)
Under the Upgraded Access model, learners must upgrade their course to get a Certificate.
Under the Paid-for Access and Sponsored Access models, learners automatically receive a Certificate once they become eligible.
Under the Proof Product model, learners can only purchase a Certificate once they become eligible.
You can see the number of learners who have made a purchase and/or who are eligible for a Certificate on your course’s Stats dashboard.
Learners who have verified their FutureLearn profile using their ID will have this recognised on their Certificate of Achievement. This is optional and not a prerequisite to purchase a Certificate.
Learners on courses that are part of programs will be able to complete the program by: upgrading (or paying for access) on each course within it, becoming eligible for a Certificate of Achievement on all courses, and purchasing a final assessment if offered.
Sample Certificate of Achievement
Below is a sample annotated transcript:
You can read more about Certificates of Achievement in the FAQ on the main FutureLearn site.
For every course, there is an information page giving learners details about the Certificate of Achievement. You will find it here:
This page is accessible to visitors who are not signed in, outside of any course: