How it works
The Certificate of Achievement (CoA) is designed to provide a robust way for learners to prove their knowledge upon completion of a course and is available in the following formats:
- Physical CoAs – These are sent in the post to learners when they become eligible. This is available on courses using the Upgraded Access, Paid-for Access and Proof Product business models.
- Downloadable CoAs – Learners can download a PDF version of their certificate which they can print at their own convenience. This is available on courses using the Sponsored Access model or as part of selected promotional campaigns.
- Digital CoAs – designed to be shared across the web, for example on a learner’s FutureLearn profile, social media profile or digital CV/resume. These are supplied in conjunction with either a physical or downloadable certificate.
Transcript of learning
Certificates of Achievement are accompanied with a transcript of learning which details:
- the learning outcomes of the course
- the syllabus
- the average test score achieved
- details of any additional accreditation or endorsement
All of this data should be added to course runs before the course is published in Course Creator.
Obtaining a Certificate of Achievement
To be eligible, a learner must have ‘fully completed’ a course, which means they must:
- Mark as complete 90% or more of the steps on a course
- Attempt all test questions
- Attain an overall score of 70% or greater for the course (where the course includes scored steps such as tests)
Under the Upgraded Access model, learners must upgrade their course to get a Certificate.
Under the Paid-for Access and Sponsored Access models, learners automatically receive a Certificate once they become eligible.
Under the Proof Product model, learners can only purchase a Certificate once they become eligible.
You can see the number of learners who have made a purchase and/or who are eligible for a Certificate on your course’s Stats dashboard.
Learners who have verified their FutureLearn profile using their ID will have this recognised on their Certificate of Achievement. This is optional and not a prerequisite to purchase a Certificate.
Learners on courses that are part of programs will be able to complete the program by: upgrading (or paying for access) on each course within it, becoming eligible for a Certificate of Achievement on all courses, and purchasing a final assessment if offered.
Sample Certificate of Achievement
Here is a sample Certificate of Achievement.
Below is a sample annotated transcript:
For every course, there is an information page giving learners details about the Certificate of Achievement. You will find it here:
This page is accessible to visitors who are not signed in, outside of any course: